Over the years before buying our first home, Ikea furniture always made a lot of sense to the both my now wife and I. Putting it together came naturally to me, it was affordable and durable and most importantly relatively inexpensive. We moved a lot our first 5 years together and so if we had to take it apart, it was easy and if we didn’t it held up for a number of cross town and cross state moves.
I get it, it’s not for everyone, but we still have a few pieces that function well for us. Mostly the various Ikea Kallax bookcases. We have a few of them still around in various 2,3,4 cube varieties. They have become a little less ideal in some of our more public space because of toddlers. Two toddlers that like to play a game called empty the shelves. While cute and hysterical, it’s not practical to continue putting stuff on these cases especially with our two year old constantly emptying the bins filled with tuppaware, tins, towels and even some toys.
Ikea sells door inserts which are great we used them in the past, but at $15 a pop and a couple of these cabinets, the cost adds up, plus the handles on those aren’t ideal for locking, so we wouldn’t really be stopping our issue. One weekend while at our local ReStore, I noticed a giant bucket of hardware for cabinets. I poked around and found some gems in brushed nickel of course and decided to grab some door mounts and handles for a few bucks. If you’ve never been to your local ReStore, I recommend checking it out from time to time for some good deals on a variety of items and sometimes even furniture pieces that can be refinished if you’re into that or need a piece you might not necessarily have the time or be ability yet to build.
For my doors I kept it pretty simple. I didn’t want them to be too heavy because they had to span a little big bigger of a space than traditional doors. These are almost more like barn doors that open out from the bookcase which is up on casters laying horizontally. They two cubes high and 4 cubes wide.
The build itself is pretty quick. I used pallet wood left over given to me by our friend and neighbor. I broke that down and removed all the nails. There were a few holes, which I could’ve filled with epoxy, however I was going for a bit of a modern rustic style which sort of blends our Miami styles with the Virginian classics.
Once the pallets were broken down, I cleaned up the lumber with just a little trimming the edges and running them once or twice a side through the planer to get them the same thickness. Then I grabbed some 1″x2″ scraps to make the insides of the doors. Once that was done I played around with the pallet boards for each door until I got both doors in a good spot with the wood. I then attached them to the frame behind with some glue and brad nails.
Then I trimmed up the left and right sides of each door to clean up any overhang. I then began adding the hardware to the Ikea bookcase and doors. It’s really important to pre-drill with Ikea furniture as it can be a little fussy. Plus the coating on the outside of what you’re going to be drilling through is often very slippery which makes it more difficult to attach screws without doing so.
Once the hardware is attached to the bookcase it’s time to attach the doors. You’ll definitely want an extra set of hands if you’ve got one around for this part. Makes it much much easier. Once the doors are attached, add the door hardware, attach the baby clip and viola! You’ve got a functional kitchen bookcase for storage that even the toughest of toddlers won’t be able to get into!
I hope you enjoyed this post and found some creative and useful tips. If you’d like more like this, please make sure you subscribe to my email list. As always if there are any question or suggestions, leave me a note in the comments and I’ll try and get to it as soon as I can.